Technical Architect (Sr. Manager)
Legg Mason is hiring a technical leader to execute the firm’s Digital Strategy. The Technical Architect will report to the Head of Digital Business Intelligence (BI) and Enablement and work across the organization globally to execute the firm’s enterprise data management strategy. This role works directly with business owners, engineers and data scientists, providing technical leadership, deep technology expertise and architecture experience. This position provides hands-on technical design and implementation ensuring technologies are successfully incorporated into customer environments. Functions as part of a highly skilled agile development and architecture team supporting a strategic cloud program. The position will work out of our Baltimore office.
Responsible for leadership and execution of Legg Mason’s digital strategy including:
- Designs and defines Amazon Web Services architecture for new cloud computing systems or existing systems migrating to cloud architectures.
- Performs expert-level systems AWS development and design work that may include logical system design; I/O design; cloud architecture analysis and design; and systems engineering.
- Develops technical roadmaps for future AWS cloud implementations.
- Develops technical analysis on potential projects.
- Ensures security is integrated into all cloud architecture solutions.
- Performs advanced systems modeling, simulation, and analysis to guide major architecture and procurement decisions.
- Acts as a subject-matter expert to multiple tasks and/or programs, but self-aware enough to know personal technical limits.
- Reviews completion and implementation of system additions and/or enhancements and makes recommendations to management.
- Plans and directs upgrades and designs systems enhancements.
- Determines system specifications; input/output processes; and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
- Serves as a program architect on technology initiatives
- Provides guidance and leadership to BI and system developers with supervisory responsibilities.
- Provides high level expertise to multiple projects and tasks.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Evidence of strong leadership and communication skills at a senior level
- Demonstrated strong coding skills in one or more high-level languages such as Python, R, Java, Smalltalk or Perl.
- Strong sense of accountability for all data and data analytics even where ownership resides with the respective functional areas
- A track record of building scalable and cool software systems.
- A background in one or more areas of data intelligence, such as information retrieval, machine learning, or data mining.
- Skill at combining theoretical elegance with effective, practical approaches.
- Experience working effectively with small groups of highly talented software engineers and scientists.
- A passion to work with innovative technologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science; Engineering or a related technical discipline.
- Master’s Degree preferred
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate preferred
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of job-related experience in Information Technology organizations
- Minimum of 5 years of experience implementing and running an enterprise data management program at a financial services company or other related data intensive companies
- Familiarity with business functions within the Asset Management industry
- Experience implementing an enterprise data management program
- Familiarity with big data solutions (e.g. S3, Hadoop and MapReduce)
- Understanding of scorecards, dashboards, and performance management metrics.
As a leading global asset management firm, Legg Mason offers rewarding career opportunities for individuals who share our passion for investing, and our commitment to putting clients first in everything we do. Whether you have industry experience and are seeking new challenges or are just beginning your career, we invite you to explore the many advantages of joining our global team.
With a presence in every major financial center across the globe, we are always looking for exceptional professionals who want to shape a rewarding career through intellectual curiosity, leadership and collaboration. If you're looking to build your future with one of the industry's premier firms, consider the many opportunities at Legg Mason today.
Legg Mason offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, profit-sharing, extensive paid time off, employee stock purchase plan with company match, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and much more. Learn more about our amazing culture #LifeAtLeggMason and our benefits package here.
Equal Opportunity Employer