Legg Mason is seeking an exceptional candidate to join its newly formed Alternative Investments Intermediary Sales team. If you are a highly motivated, self-starter with a strong desire to be on the ground floor of creating opportunity for a new product line-up, this is for you!
Reporting to the Managing Director of Alternative Investment Sales, you will partner closely with other Legg Mason sales teams to increase assets under management in the launch of the Clarion Real Estate Income Fund (CPREIF) and potentially other limited-liquidity alternative investments to be launched in the future. You will be focused on prospecting for financial advisors utilizing alternative investments in the IBD channel initially, leading to strong, long-term productive relationships. In addition, you will work closely with the existing Legg Mason sales teams to drive sales in both the wire house and RIA channels. A deep knowledge base allowing the wholesaler to be viewed as a product specialist and asset class expert will be critical to success. Strong partnering skills with internal colleagues and resources will be integral to building a successful sales territory.
The Alternative Investments Consultants must be willing to learn and grow, have a sense of urgency, and execute on a territory-specific business plan to launch sales quickly with the highest level of integrity and professionalism. The cornerstone of this sales process is asking questions and listening, providing relevant information and insight, and always putting the interest of the adviser and client first.
Candidates should be based in a major metropolitan area in the US, open to multiple locations (territory coverage may be either Northeast, Southeast, MidWest, or West).
- Prospecting for financial advisors within the selling group who have a desire to implement the use of alternative investments, specifically those with limited liquidity and low correlation to the traded markets.
- Develop and build long-term productive relationships with financial advisers
- Utilize sales process: identify needs, provide meaningful solutions, and deliver superior service
- Understand and articulate capital markets, complex product structures, and real estate strategies
- Develop a deep understanding of competitor products and position the benefits of CPRIEF product(s) structure and investment strategy appropriately
- Integrate current themes and campaigns into conversations that drive the sales process
- Work closely with the Legg Mason mutual fund sales team to partner well by referring opportunities to and from each other with the goal of increasing Legg Mason’s footprint and market share.
- Deliver compelling presentations, in both large and small group settings, to the financial advisor community as well as potential investors
- Attend conferences, representing the entirety of Legg Mason
- Maintain and update Sales Force with all activity in the field
- Own sales performance and sales goals
- Manage a large territory effectively, schedule meetings, and plan travel
Skills & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Finance or Business
- Minimum 3 to 5 years' of experience in an external sales capacity
- CAIA, CFA or CIMA preferred
- Proven success and relationships with IBD and RIA channels of distribution; relationships with financial advisors utilizing alternative investments is preferred
- Strong knowledge of portfolio construction including the use of low correlation asset classes and strategies as well as the benefits of limited liquidity
- Knowledge and experience with NTRs, Interval Funds and/or private placements
- Knowledge of the historical and current developments in the non-traded industry and the evolution of products
- Current FINRA Registrations preferred: Series 7, 63, 65, and/or 66
- Team player mentality
- Enhanced problem-solving abilities and analytical abilities
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Energetic, self-motivated, positive attitude, goal-oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines, strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Committed to self-improvement; willingness to learn and grow
- Strong work ethic and high sense of urgency
- High degree of integrity
- Ability and willingness to prepare relentlessly and execute passionately
- Strong relationship building skills & client focused
- Well organized and detail-oriented